- Ayanna Witter-Johnson, the cellist and singer whose latest mini-album, Truthfully, is pretty much a solo effort, with just a little assistance from pianist Robert Mitchell.
- Femi Temowo, the Nigerian-born guitarist who has played with everyone from Soweto Kinch to Ami Winehouse and has a recent album out called Orin Meta.
- Zara McFarlane, the singer who has been strongly associated with Jazz Jamaica’s Motor City Roots project and is signed to Gilles Peterson’s Brownswood Recordings label. Her album is called Until Tomorrow.
- Roller Trio, the Leeds-based band whose debut eponymous album was recently included in the Mercury Prize shortlist and who fly the flag here for the edgy and singularly British area of current jazz-rock.
- Zoe Rahman, the pianist and composer who has increasingly amalgamated her Bengali heritage with her British and American jazz training. Her most recent album is Kindred Spirits.
We can all vote at www.mobo.com and the winners will be announced on 3 November.